Today is a rainy Sunday, which will eventually become a stormy Sunday. While it is necessary to let your body rest at least once per week, that rest will not always coincide with the weather. There will always be an excuse not to work out, so it’s important to overcome those obstacles (i.e. weather, lack of gym membership, hectic work schedule) with solutions. Today I did a quick 2 mile run before the storms hit. I picked up the pace to ensure a solid calorie burn and workout for the minimal amount of time I would have outside. Sometimes it’s impossible to get outside when there’s a blizzard, hurricane, thunderstorm, etc. In that case, here are a few more suggestions for keeping active inside:
- Jogging in place
- Yoga or pilates (on demand or you can look up moves on-line)
- Resistant band training (quality bands can be found at Target ranging from $12.69-$25.99).
- Jumping and regular squats
- Burpees (video demonstration below)
- Sit-ups, crunches, and bicycle crunches
- Plank move
- On all fours: opposite arm leg raise
- Using a laundry detergent bottle (preferably with detergent still in it) as a weight and a chair for support: supported dumbbell rows.
Utilizing these few suggestions, as well as suggestions provided in earlier blogs, even weather can’t stop you from keeping active. For those of you who like to spend time watching TV after a long work day, you can do these moves while watching your favorite show or movie. Use stuff around your house and be creative!
Provided is a video of how to do a burpee, which is a great cardio and strengthening workout: